Vol: 18 No: 21 January 27, 2020
APT is committed to OSA as a diverse, equitable and inclusive school community. A place where students thrive, and where parents, teachers, and students— together with the school leadership and board, partner to ensure the success of the school.
Please join us for the Monthly APT General Meetings! Download: 2019-20 APT Welcomes You!! – Info Slides
Sign-up for Konstella! This is how OSA’s APT provides you important information & updates on OSA!
Konstella Videos & Guides: See these useful Konstella Videos & Guides
Coalition of OSA Teachers
The Heart of OSA! Come out to Support OSA Teachers this Wednesday at the OSA Board meeting. The meeting starts at 6:15, and the teachers’ presentation is currently scheduled for 6:50pm in the Student Center
Many of you probably remember that frustrated by high faculty turnover, low wages, and lack of transparency, OSA’s teachers announced their decision to form a union last May. With the cooperation of the administration and Board, they easily won recognition in September and are now ready to begin bargaining for their first union contract. This Wednesday will mark the first step in that process when the Coalition of OSA Teachers (COSAT) will formally present their list of bargaining topics to the OSA Board. Their goals include:
Fair and Transparent Pay
- Clear, consistent system of step advancement
- Audit current use of stipend system
- Consistent stipends for all that meet requirements
- Tenure (or equivalent) as teachers move up the scale
- Consistent, timely contracts for the coming year
- Reasonable Job Security
Built-in Cost of Living Adjustments
- A initial salary adjustment to catch up with inflation
- Annual COLA adjustments in the future, so they don’t fall behind again.
Presentation on how to Help California Secure $4 Billion a Year in Education Funding
When: Wednesday, February 5th, 6:30-7:30
Where: Oakland Tech’s Auditorium
Who: Ben Grieff, Campaign Director for Evolve California (www.evolve-ca.org), will host a detailed presentation followed by a Q&A. Sponsored by the Oakland Tech High School PTSA.
California public schools are severely underfunded, ranking 39th in the nation in per-pupil spending, with the largest number of students per teacher and fewest counselors per student. But in November 2020, we have the opportunity to reclaim $11 billion a year to ensure that our schools and communities have the resources needed to educate our kids and support vital community services.
The Schools and Communities First initiative restores over $11 billion every year in revenue for our schools and local communities by assessing commercial and industrial property at fair market value, with NO changes to residential or small business taxes. It would provide an estimated $40 million dollars of new funding each year for Oakland public schools.
Join us to learn more.
Audition Volunteers Needed – RSVP to Ms. Peters
Hey wonderful OSA Audition Volunteers,
It’s that time again…time to start gearing up for OSA Audition Days! I am hoping you will continue to volunteer your time for this and share your years of experience!
Our auditions will be held on February 8. Please plan to discuss this at your emphasis meetings if you’re having them later, or by email to your art department/last year’s volunteer lead so that we can have many good helpers on those busy days! We will need folks from approximately 8AM to 3 or 3:30 PM on both days.
Many parents have been the volunteer leads for years and we thank you for all your support! If you are terming out, please consider training a volunteer lead to learn from you this time and help at future auditions over the next four years as we gradually phase them out entirely.
We need volunteers for the following emphases. High school students may volunteer independently and middle school students must volunteer with a parent present.
Vocal – Volunteer Lead last year: Jen Lyell & Danine Diew
Theater Volunteer Lead last year: Nicole Jurjavcic
IM –Volunteer Lead last year: Amber Terrell
Visual –Volunteer Lead last year: C. David Guerra
Dance – recommendations?
PD –Volunteer Lead last year: Zettie Ruane and Tami Driver
Lit –Volunteer Lead last year: Carin Ramsey
Fashion –Volunteer Lead last year: Vickie Maloney & Sharon Le Duy
Michaela Peters, Director of Admission firstname.lastname@example.org
Oakland School for the Arts
PLEASE ATTEND: OSA Board of Directors Meeting
Our next OSA Board of Directors meeting will take place Wednesday January 29th at 6:15 PM in the Student Center. The agenda and materials are posted online.
Thank you and feel free to email with any questions or concerns you may have.
-The OSA Leadership Team
PLEASE ATTEND: February General APT Meeting
Time: TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2020
5:30-6:00pm Community Building
6:00-7:00pm General APT Meeting
7:00-8:00pm Arts Emphasis Meetings
Location: OSA Student Center
Other Important Dates
OSA 2019-20 Academic Calendar
NO SCHOOL: Monday, February 17, 2020 – President’s Day
Pay School Lunches with PAYPAL!
Parents may now use PayPal to pay for their student’s school lunches. The link can be found on the family resources page of our website. https://www.oakarts.org/FAMILY-RESOURCES-/index.html
OSA Student and Family Handbook
OSA Bell Schedule
Download OSA 2019-20 Bell Schedule. Be Sure To Be On-Time Everyday! Tardy Bell Rings at 8:15am for Middle School & High School.
3 Easy Ways to Support APT while Shopping!
1) When shopping on Amazon, a percentage of your purchase goes to the APT as a referral fee. Make sure you sign in through your www.smile.amazon.com account so OSA can get the donation.
2) Support your child’s Art Emphasis through your normal shopping activities. To make this happen, just sign up for Escrip. www.secure.escript.com
Collect Box Tops For Education
3) Ever see those pink box tops on cereal boxes, Ziplock bags, Pillsbury refrigerated/dairy items, Kleenex tissue, Nature Valley Granola products and many others, start clipping and saving those today. The school will get 10 cents for each box top turned in. It doesn’t sound like much but it sure adds up: If each OSA student just turns in 10 boxtops we will raise over $500.00 for OSA without spending an extra dime. It’s that easy!
How does it work?
- Clip the box tops from participating brands and put them in a bag.
- Drop off the box tops in the box located at the security desk at the 18th street entrance to the school.
- Visit the Box Tops For Education web site to learn more and see all the participating brands. That’s it. It’s easy! Your family shops, our school earns dollars.
Events, activities, and classes shared by parents for parents.
Upcoming Events to be Posted Here. More to Come…
- Donate to OSA Annual Fund
- OSA Spotlight – November 2019 edition
- OSA Commuters – Login to Konstella and JOIN the Commuter Sharing Social Group
- KOSA Radio – student radio
- smile.amazon.com – Use this link when shopping on Amazon. It brings money into the school!
To View In Your Browser, Click Here: OSA News!