2. Language Class Update
- aiming for a 2nd semester pilot, to start 2/1.
- open to 20-25 middle-school students only
- M 1:15-2pm AND W 3:30-4:15
- more details to come
3. Survey Updates
- 60 responses, but not to late to add you voice
- from the survey, parents want:
- to hear about what students are doing
- create a non-emphasis connection
- information on helping kids juggle/balance
- supportive of challenge day
- APT wants to open a framework for parents to lead discussions around these and other issues. Parents are invited to present on topics — contact Nicolette or Mark if interested. Parent Cat Brooks will be speaking in January about Black Lives Matter.
- APT group emails are annoying — too much
- While supportive of challenge day, would like to see more follow-up with students.
4. Request for Volunteers
- We still need more people to be on the APT Board: Co-VP, newsletter editor, google/website help.
5. Field trip to Fun Home
- 1/27 at Curran Theatre. $25 (includes ticket and bart), bring a lunch
- for HS students it is an opt out, for MS it is an opt in. MS must RSVP by 12/15.
- 114 parents volunteered to chaperone, but we only need 20. To be selected by lottery.
- Thanks to Summer for helping to coordinate this big group! About 500 kids are going.
6. Lost & Found
- HUGE! Please check before break as all will be donated over the vacation.
7. Linda Ricciardi, School of Fashion Design
- 1st year as a department
- 21 students
- It is the one of the only Fashion Design HS programs in the country.
- 1st Exhibition Show opes this Thursday from 6-9 in the White Box, called #Done and includes costume, fashion and make-up. 6 seniors showing. Free.
- Thank you to VA, PD and Theater for helping!
- There is also a Fashion Magazine. The first official edition will be available at the show for $8
- Got good PR for the department with the PBS video “from Sketch to Runway”
- So happy to be a department
- Also still working with costuming and make-up for Theater
8. APT Fundraiser
- Hoping to earn money to be able to give academic teachers a small stipend. Would like to earn about $8000 to give about $200 per teacher.
- Ads placed in the OSA News go directly toward this goal.
- Also working on the possibility of some sort of auction.
9. Michaela Peters — Auditions coming up
- 371 applications processed
- Volunteers needed for Audition Day 1/14. Contact Romy Douglas or your department
- Selection process has some changes.
- Students still must audition, but essay and recommendation letters are not optional
- If there are more qualified applicants than spaces available, students will be selected by lottery
- Step It Up still has a separate audition
- Siblings are not in the lottery — qualified sibs are admitted directly
- Oakland students are prioritized in the lottery
- Lottery and status letters will go out only after 2nd audition date.
- Applicants can’t audition at both 1st & 2nd audition (unless there are some extenuating circumstances.