Vol: 16 No: 13 December 15, 2017
Exceptional. Diverse. Public.
Now in its 16th year, OSA remains a vibrant gem in the heart of Downtown Oakland, providing countless opportunities for innovation, expression and growth for nearly 800 students.
Thanks to the exceptional commitment of our Board, faculty, staff, and families, OSA is among the most extraordinary schools in the Bay Area.
Please take a moment to read through and enjoy our 2016-17 Annual Report. OSA is thriving, the momentum is strong, and we are grateful for your part in our students’ successes.
Oakland School for the Arts
THANK YOU to our Sunday group of OSA Phonathon Volunteers! We know many were making calls for the first time and it was inspiring to see folks stepping out of their comfort zone for our kids!
We also want to thank the many members of our community who took their calls and listened to their messages! The Phonathon raised more than $15,000 in gifts and pledges.
We are currently at 45% school wide participation and would love your support to get to 100%. One of the most important statistics we provide to potential outside donors is the percentage of parent participation in the Annual Fund. Every gift counts, no matter the amount.
Ways to Give:
· Recurring Gift: >Please consider a monthly gift to support your student’s 60+ hours per month of arts programming and our stellar faculty.
OSA Student Performances and Exhibitions
Our students have been working hard all year to prepare for their December showcases. OSA performances and exhibitions are well underway! For a complete schedule and ticket information, click here.
Important Student Announcements
- Seniors! Please be aware that the counseling department encourages you to start the process for ordering graduation gowns/tassels (and everything else!). If you have any questions about graduation, stoles, tickets, etc. please see Ms. Snyder and Ms. Schultz.
- HS students interested in being part of a 6th grader mentorship program may sign up with Ms. Zaugg or Mr. Oz. The program will pair you with a 6th grader for monthly meet ups and will start after the winter break.
- Senior portraits retakes are next Wednesday 12/20. You must sign up for a time slot on the sheet outside Ms Zaugg’s office. Please sign up during your free period if possible.
- During this holiday season, Student Leadership Class is creating gift bags for the homeless. We are looking for hats, gloves, rain ponchos, socks, snack bars, chap stick, bandaids. There are boxes located on the 2nd floor near 18th st. elevator, and also on the 3rd floor staircase on 19th st. Please consider donating and sharing with someone less fortunate.
OSA Arts Festival
Kick Off Meeting
When: December 20, 6pm-7pm
Where: Student Center
What: The OSA Arts Festival is scheduled for March 2, 3 and 4. This is a large scale event that will showcase the talents and hard work of the entire OSA Arts community. We are excited to support our students and provide the space for them to shine. We need an army of staff and parent volunteers to produce this event. Please join us to hear more details about this multi-day, multi-venue, multi-emphasis event and find out how you can help. Thank you!
Shopping Makes Giving Easy
With the holiday season in full swing, the APT is looking at small ways for you to extend your cheer:
Amazon Smile: Amazon will donate .5% to the APT with each purchase you make. To learn more, go to https://smile.amazon.com/. Please designate your charity as Alliance Of Parents And Teachers At The Oakland School For The Arts.
Amazon Smile via Konstella: After you set up Amazon Smile, go to Amazon via https://konstella.com/amazon and Konstella will donate an additional 1% to the APT on every purchase.
Chipotle: Host a party with Chipotle catering and 50% goes to OSA. To learn more, https://www.chipotle.com/fundraisers
Shutterfly: Shutterfly will give 13% of your order to the APT. To learn more, visit http://apt-osa.shutterflystorefront.com
eScrip: Register your credit card, shop and donate. To learn more, http://www.escrip.com/
Audio Production and Design After Hours
MS & HS, All Emphases Welcome
New Session, New Schedule, New Price. Starting in February:
Who: Mr. McGovern
When: Tuesdays-Fridays, 4:30-6 during regularly scheduled school days
- Session 2: February 5th – March 2nd (Except Presidents Day, February 19th)
- Session 3: March: 5th – 29th
Where: In the Recording Studio (room 305)
Cost: $500 per student per session
What: “Audio Production After Hours” is an opportunity for students outside of the AP&E emphasis to get an introduction to the music production process, and the tools used in creating original projects. Course Topics: Digital Audio Workstations, Software Instruments, Recording Engineering, Microphones, Synthesis, MIDI 8 seats available per session If you have any questions feel free to email Mr. McGovern at email@example.com
You’re getting our emails, but are you registered on Konstella? When you register and add your child to their classroom, you will receive communications specific to your child’s grade/emphasis and can also participate in group discussions.
To register, simply click on the “Register at Konstella” button on the bottom of your Konstella emails.
- 12/19 – APT-POC meeting, Student Center, 6:30 pm
- 12/20 – OSA Arts Festival Kick Off Meeting, Student Center, 6pm-7pm
- 12/22-1/5 – Winter Break – SCHOOL CLOSED
- OSA Yearbook Photo Submissions – Deadline is February 1st
- OSA Spotlight – November 2017 edition
- Hot Lunch Menu – OUSD December Lunch Menu
- After School Programs – after school offerings for OSA middle and high schoolers
- Lunchtime Clubs – lunchtime clubs for MS and HS students
- KOSA Radio – student radio
- The OSA Telegraph – student newspaper
- Nomenclatter – hedonism is the theme of the new issue of Literary Arts’ webzine
- konstella.com/amazon – Amazon Smile, Alliance Of Parents And Teachers At The Oakland School For The Arts
The Parent Trap
Great news, everyone!!! Our OSA Concert Choir is one of the 3 finalists in the KDFC Choral Competition!!! Winners get the chance to perform live on the radio at Zellerbach Hall in March. Please cast your votes by Dec. 17th at the link below. Please help us spread the word.
You can vote multiple times on the link below.
Please share with your social networks and keep voting!
Follow Daniel Shaponikov (Mouse), Pilar Ortez (Dragonfly), Angela Watson (Clara, Dragonfly), and Angelina Williams (Dragonfly) as they set off from Oakland School for the Arts’ School of Dance to the 2017 San Francisco Nutcracker Ballet’s Land of Dreams. They will bridge the waters of the Oakland/San Francisco Bay in their roles as students of the San Francisco Ballet School beginning December 13, 2017 until they reach the Land of Sweets on December 30th.
Angry Asian Abrasion
featuring OSA students Gus Hurteau, Edgar Duchesneau and Timothy Mah have two upcoming shows:
Sunday, December 17 at 5 pm
DNA Lounge (above DNA), 375 11th St, SF
$10 Adv, $12 at door
Looking for Student Performers and Artists/craftspeople for Local Holiday Artisan Market and Dimond Lights Celebration in the Dimond district of Oakland!
OSA News: Now accepting advertisements!
Ad space on the OSA NEWSLETTER is available for your business or organization.