Vol: 16 No: 27 April 13, 2018
April 23: Financial Presentation by Jonathan Faustine
April 24: Symposium “No One Deserves to Be Harmed: Building Communities of Support to Fight Sexual Assault”
April 25: Presentation “No One Deserves to Be Harmed: How Parents & Guardians Can Support Students”
April 30: Strategic Plan Overview by Brian Köhn
May 5: 2018 Prom
May 5: OSA Day at the Ball Park
May 9L: Preventing Eating Disorders in Teenagers: A Non-Diet Approach to Food
Annual LCAP Updates
Every public school in California has an LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan), which is updated annually.
An LCAP is a detailed document containing OSA’s primary objectives. It lists our four school-wide goals and our expenditures to reach those goals. We are constantly evaluating ourselves as a school, how we are doing toward achieving those goals, and seeing what we can do differently to best serve our students. We are in the process of updating our LCAP and will be looking for parent input.
Come find out more about the LCAP, and how it affects our school funding at the next APT meeting on Tuesday, April 17th.
Congratulations to OSA Oakland Public Library 7th Annual Youth Poet Laureate 2018 Finalist, Miles DeRosa, age 16, student at Oakland School for the Arts, 2017 Oakland Youth Poet Finalist, Julia Hopkins, age 17, student at Oakland School of the Arts, and Leila Mottley, age 15, student at Oakland School for the Arts, 2017 Oakland Vice Youth Poet Laureate.OSA’s School of Dance would like to recognize and acknowledge the following students’ accomplishments and acceptances into the following Summer Dance Intensives:
- Sophomore Aziza Hadiya was accepted to The Ailey School Professional Division Summer Intensive, Alonzo King LINES Ballet Pre-Professional Summer Program, and San Francisco Conservatory of Dance
- Sophomore Isabella Soo-Hoo has been accepted to UNCSA’s Ballet Summer Intensive, Boston Ballet Summer Dance Program, Pacific NorthWest Ballet Summer Course, Ballet West Academy Summer Intensive, and American Ballet Theater’s (ABT) Summer Intensive in Texas, and made her professional dance debut dancing for OSA’s resident dance company, Savage Jazz Dance Company, in their 25th Anniversary Home Season, Sketches of Oakland, in Oakland
Congratulations to OSA’s School of Dance students for working to raise the barre and push to set new standards for themselves!
OSA Spring Performances and Exhibitions
Tickets are now available for the Oakland School for the Arts School of Vocal Music Spring Show “We Are The Body” at the Fox Theatre on Friday, May 4th at 7:00 pm!
“In this time of social and political unrest, we are all searching for a way to be heard. Our students see the world around them, they want their hearts to be understood, their voices to be heard and they want to find a way to take action for the changes they long for. As young artists they are exploring their world through song. We Are the Body examines the idea of the individual and the collective, and the many roles that each member plays.”
OSA Spring Dance Concert 2018
Come see Oakland School for the Arts School of Dance in their one and only Dance Concert of the year!
See what the Middle and High School dance students have been working hard toward all year!
Featuring choreography from OSA School of Dance’s Senior Class of 2018 and Department Chair Mr. Reginald Ray-Savage!
4 Shows Only!
Thursday, May 24 @ 7pm**OPENING NIGHT SPECIAL:
ALL THURSDAY OPENING NIGHT TICKETS ONLY $15!**
Friday, May 25 @ 7pm
Saturday, May 26 @ 7pm
Sunday, May 27 @ 3pm
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to show your support for all the hard work and discipline these young people have put into themselves and their art!
Tickets: $25 General Admission, $15 Students/Seniors (with valid ID)*
*Friday & Saturday Only: Groups of 6 or more get 10% off! Enter discount code “Group” at checkout.
**PLEASE NOTE: Due to high demand, latecomers tickets are subject to being released**
Please plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before the show starts, as parking in the area can be very challenging.
*Online ticket sales end 12pm on the day of the show for all 7pm shows and 12pm on Saturday for Sunday’s 3pm show.
Tickets will be available for sale at the Box Office starting 1 hour before show time.
Thank you for your support!
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN FOR SJDC’s SUMMER INTENSIVE 2018!
June 18-29 and July 9-27, Monday – Friday, 10am-1pm: Beginner/Intermediate; 1:30-5pm: Intermediate/Advanced at Oakland School for the Arts 3rd Floor Dance Studios
Savage Jazz Dance Company’s Summer Intensive is a 5 week training program for students 10 and up, headed by SJDC Artistic Director and Oakland School for the Arts School of Dance Department Chair, Mr. Reginald Ray-Savage.
With classes in Ballet, Contemporary, Body Conditioning, Repertory, and more, the program emphasizes a passionate and committed approach to training, and students will be expected to embrace this approach as they are challenged to hone their technique, improve their strength, and increase their flexibility and stamina.
An outstanding training ground for contemporary dancers, students of SJDC, Mr. Savage, and OSA have gone on and been accepted to University of North Carolina School of the Arts, Ailey/Fordham BFA Program, London Contemporary Dance School, The School of American Ballet, American Ballet Theatre Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Pre-Professional Division School, San Francisco Ballet School, Juilliard Summer Intensive, Hubbard Street II, Ailey II, Martha Graham Dance Ensemble, Philadanco, Ronald K. Brown/Evidence, Oakland Ballet, Garth Fagan Dance, Mark Morris’ Hard Nut, Disney’s The Lion King, and more.
Anyone serious about their dance training will benefit from this program.
Those intending to pursue or currently in training to become professional dancers, particularly those interested in performing with Savage Jazz Dance Company, will have a chance to experience how the company trains and to learn SJDC repertory.
Those wanting to attend OSA’s School of Dance will get to experience and gain a deeper understanding of what it is like to train as a young dance student at OSA.
Get $100 off the price of tuition when you register by May 14!
Download your registration form here: http://www.savagejazz.org/uploads/3/1/9/6/31964201/registration_form_summer_2018.pdf
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Get your training on!
- 4/17 APT and Emphasis Meetings; Student Center; 6pm-8pm
- 4/23 Financial Presentation with Jonathan Faustine
- 4/24 APT-POC Meeting; Student Center; 6:30pm-8pm
- 4/24 Symposium “No One Deserves to Be Harmed: Building Communities of Support to Fight Sexual Assault” ; Black Box; 7pm-9:30pm
- 4/25 Presentation “No One Deserves to Be Harmed: How Parents & Guardians Can Support Students”; Black Boxl 7pm-9:30pm
- 4/30 Strategic Plan Overview with Brian Köhn; Student Center; 6pm-7:30pm
- 5/5 OSA Day at the Ball Park – APT Fundraiser
- 5/5 Prom
- OSA Spotlight – March 2018 edition
- Hot Lunch Menu – OUSD April Lunch Menu
- My School Bucks – Add money to School Lunch Account
- After School Programs – after school offerings for OSA middle and high schoolers
- Lunchtime Clubs – lunchtime clubs for MS and HS students
- KOSA Radio – student radio
- The OSA Telegraph – student newspaper
- Nomenclatter – hedonism is the theme of the new issue of Literary Arts’ webzine
- konstella.com/amazon – Amazon Smile, Alliance Of Parents And Teachers At The Oakland School For The Arts
OSA News: Now accepting advertisements!
Ad space on the OSA NEWSLETTER is available for your business or organization.
News item submissions (deadline-end of school-day Wednesday) email@example.com