Vol: 16 No: 29 April 27, 2018
One Week from Today!
Come to the A’s game
that’s being advertised on billboards around town!
Please participate in the only APT fundraiser of the year! The APT is excited to offer our students, teachers, parents, guardians and friends the opportunity to buy discounted tickets to see the Oakland A’s take on the Baltimore Orioles on Saturday, May 5 at 6:00 PM.
Let’s celebrate Cinco de Mayo together and start a new community event in the process!
Did we mention it’s also Marvel Super Hero Day? AND did we mention that Black Panther bobbleheads will be given to the first 15,000 that attend?
Tickets can be purchased for $35 (normally $42). On sale now for the OSA community and your friends. Spread the word!
Pre-game informal tailgate will begin at 4pm in parking lot B, south gate (more details to follow on the specific location).
Thank you—we look forward to seeing you at the game!
Questions? Mark Lecker
Also on May 5th:
May 5, 7pm-11pm
15 Embarcadero West, Oakland
$85 single; $160 couple; $510 Group of 6 plus free VIP package; $10 VIP package
Questions? Ms. Zaugg
AP Course Exams approaching for High School!
AP exams for high school students currently enrolled in AP classes are approaching, and will be administered from~May 7 – May 16, 2018. The schedule and room assignments appear below.
PLEASE NOTE that there is a REQUIRED Pre-Admin session scheduled forMonday April 30th from 1:00 – 2:00 in the Black Box. All students taking an AP Exam MUST attend this registration event. If there is an unavoidable conflict, please contact Romy Douglass to reschedule prior to your exam date.
All remaining exam fees are due by Monday April 30th and may be turned in at the Pre-Admin session. Students who paid the $20 deposit for an exam owe a remainder of $74 per exam. Checks should be written out to OSA, with your student’s name in the memo line.
If anyone is able to sponsor a student who may face economic hardship in paying for this test, please simply write your check for any additional amount as you are able. Any excess amount will be donated to the Student Leadership Fund, and is not tax-deductible. Additionally, those for whom the fee is an obstacle to taking the AP test(s) should please contact Romy Douglass.
AP Test Schedule:
Monday May 7, 12:00, Psychology in Room 315 (Mr. Taylor’s room)
Tuesday, May 9, 8:00 AM, Spanish Language & Culture (Black Box)
Friday, May 11, 8:00 AM, US History (Black Box)
Friday, May 11, 5:00 PM, Studio Art deadline to submit online portfolio
Monday, May 14, 8:00 AM, Music Theory (Newberry: Room 410 and STEAM lab)
Tuesday, May 15, 8:00 AM, Calculus AB (Black Box)
Wednesday, May 16, 8:00 AM, English Language & Composition (Period One students report to Student Center, Period Two students report to Sweets – both exams begin at 8:00 AM)
Thank you! To contact Romy Douglass with any questions, visit Room 227a, firstname.lastname@example.org~or call 873-8815.
Strategic Plan Overview
by Brian Köhn
Come give input to OSA’s Strategic Plan! OSA wants to get your input on the future priorities for OSA in the areas of academics, community, arts and sustainability. This is your chance to brainstorm and provide creative input into how OSA moves forward with becoming an even better place to go to school.
May 7, 6pm-7:30pm, Student Center
Preventing Eating Disorders in Teenagers:
A Non-Diet Approach to Food
May 9th, 2018 at 6:00 PM in the Student Center (18th Street Entrance)
Please join Oakland School for the Arts Education Support Team and Signe Darpinian for an educational training on Preventing Eating Disorders in Teenagers: A Non-Diet Approach to Food. Our presenter, Signe Darpinian, is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Certified Eating Disorder Specialist. She has a forthcoming book No Weigh!!! A Teen’s Guide to Body Image, Food, and Emotional Wisdom, Summer 2018 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers, in London.
For more information, click Here.
End of the Year Upcoming Events
- Learning Lab:
Parent volunteers needed to relieve Ms. Smith supervising 3:15pm -5pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
- CAASPP Testing:
6th Grade: English & Math 5/21-5/25
7th Grade: English 5/21-5/25; Math 5/25-6/1
8th Grade: Math 5/14-5/18; English 5/21-5/25
- Final Exams:
6th & 7th Grade: 6/4-6/8, Early Release
8th Grade: 5/31-6/7
- 8th Grade Great America Trip:
6/11 Turn in $33.50 for Great America tickets by 5/21 to get group rate
- 8th Grade Dinner/Dance:
Date Change: 6/7 at Sweets Ballroom, Parent Chaperones needed and possibly food donations
- 8th Grade Promotion:
6/8, 10:30am at the Fox Theater, Provide names for guest list by provided deadline
- 8th Grader Sophie Bately was accepted into Bolshoi Prep Summer Intensive in New York, American Ballet Theatre (ABT) Summer Intensive in Irvine, and Joffrey Ballet School Summer Intensive in NY
- 8th Grader Kyla Johnson has been offered full tuition scholarship to The Ailey School’s Junior Division Summer Intensive, 50% Scholarship to the Joffrey Ballet School’s NYC Jazz Intensive, and has been accepted to Joffrey Ballet School’s year round Jazz/Contemporary Trainee Program, Alonzo King LINES Ballet Advanced Summer Program, ABT Summer Intensive, San Francisco Ballet School’s (SFBS) Summer Session, and Joffrey Ballet Chicago Advanced Summer Intensive
- 8th Grader Beatrice Miller was offered $500 Merit Scholarship to UNCSA’s Contemporary Summer Intensive, 25% Scholarship to Joffrey Ballet School’s Summer Jazz Intensive in NY, and has been accepted to Joffrey Ballet School’s year-round Trainee Program in NY, HSDC Advanced Intensive, PeriDance Capezio Center’s Summer Intensive in NY, and Joffrey Ballet School’s Summer Intensive in NY
- 8th Grader Stella Pezold has been offered 75% Scholarship to Joffrey Ballet School’s Summer Intensive in NY, and has been accepted to Joffrey Ballet School’s Musical Theater Intensive in London and NYC, Joffrey Ballet School’s Summer Intensive in Genoa, Italy, Bolshoi Ballet Academy Summer Intensive in NYC, ABT Summer Intensive in NYC, and City Ballet Summer Intensive (Level 6) in SF
- 8th Grader Angelina Williams was accepted into Joffrey Ballet Chicago’s Pre-Professional year round program and Advanced Summer Intensive, ABT Summer Intensive in NYC, and SFBS Summer Intensive, and made her professional dance debut dancing for OSA’s resident dance company, Savage Jazz Dance Company, in their 25th Anniversary Home Season in Oakland
OSA Spring Performances and Exhibitions
Tonight and Tomorrow Night:
High School Spring Show 2018
1 – 4 p.m., Saturday, April 28
OSA White Box Studio
1726 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, CA,
Admission is free and open to the public.
“In this time of social and political unrest, we are all searching for a way to be heard. Our students see the world around them, they want their hearts to be understood, their voices to be heard and they want to find a way to take action for the changes they long for. As young artists they are exploring their world through song. We Are the Body examines the idea of the individual and the collective, and the many roles that each member plays.”
OSA Spring Dance Concert 2018
Come see Oakland School for the Arts School of Dance in their one and only Dance Concert of the year!
See what the Middle and High School dance students have been working hard toward all year!
Featuring choreography from OSA School of Dance’s Senior Class of 2018 and Department Chair Mr. Reginald Ray-Savage!
4 Shows Only!
Thursday, May 24 @ 7pm**OPENING NIGHT SPECIAL:
ALL THURSDAY OPENING NIGHT TICKETS ONLY $15!**
Friday, May 25 @ 7pm
Saturday, May 26 @ 7pm
Sunday, May 27 @ 3pm
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to show your support for all the hard work and discipline these young people have put into themselves and their art!
Tickets: $25 General Admission, $15 Students/Seniors (with valid ID)*
*Friday & Saturday Only: Groups of 6 or more get 10% off! Enter discount code “Group” at checkout.
**PLEASE NOTE: Due to high demand, latecomers tickets are subject to being released**
Please plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before the show starts, as parking in the area can be very challenging.
*Online ticket sales end 12pm on the day of the show for all 7pm shows and 12pm on Saturday for Sunday’s 3pm show.
Tickets will be available for sale at the Box Office starting 1 hour before show time.
Thank you for your support!
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN FOR SJDC’s SUMMER INTENSIVE 2018!
June 18-29 and July 9-27, Monday – Friday, 10am-1pm: Beginner/Intermediate; 1:30-5pm: Intermediate/Advanced at Oakland School for the Arts 3rd Floor Dance Studios
Savage Jazz Dance Company’s Summer Intensive is a 5 week training program for students 10 and up, headed by SJDC Artistic Director and Oakland School for the Arts School of Dance Department Chair, Mr. Reginald Ray-Savage.
With classes in Ballet, Contemporary, Body Conditioning, Repertory, and more, the program emphasizes a passionate and committed approach to training, and students will be expected to embrace this approach as they are challenged to hone their technique, improve their strength, and increase their flexibility and stamina.
An outstanding training ground for contemporary dancers, students of SJDC, Mr. Savage, and OSA have gone on and been accepted to University of North Carolina School of the Arts, Ailey/Fordham BFA Program, London Contemporary Dance School, The School of American Ballet, American Ballet Theatre Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Pre-Professional Division School, San Francisco Ballet School, Juilliard Summer Intensive, Hubbard Street II, Ailey II, Martha Graham Dance Ensemble, Philadanco, Ronald K. Brown/Evidence, Oakland Ballet, Garth Fagan Dance, Mark Morris’ Hard Nut, Disney’s The Lion King, and more.
Anyone serious about their dance training will benefit from this program.
Those intending to pursue or currently in training to become professional dancers, particularly those interested in performing with Savage Jazz Dance Company, will have a chance to experience how the company trains and to learn SJDC repertory.
Those wanting to attend OSA’s School of Dance will get to experience and gain a deeper understanding of what it is like to train as a young dance student at OSA.
Get $100 off the price of tuition when you register by May 14!
Download your registration form here: http://www.savagejazz.org/uploads/3/1/9/6/31964201/registration_form_summer_2018.pdf
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Get your training on!
- 5/5 OSA Day at the Ball Park – APT Fundraiser
- 5/5 Prom
- DATE CHANGE: 5/7 Strategic Plan Overview with Brian Köhn; Student Center; 6pm-7:30pm
- 5/8 APT and Emphasis Meetings
- 5/9 Director’s Coffee; 8:30am-9:30qm
- 5/9 Promoting Positive Body Image in Teenagers, Student Center, 6pm
- 5/15 APT-POC meeting; Student Center; 6pm
- 5/28 Memorial Day – SCHOOL CLOSED
- DATE CHANGE: 6/7 8th Grade Dinner Dance, Sweets Ballroom, 6pm
- 6/8 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony, 10:30 am; Senior Graduation, 2 pm, Fox Theater
- OSA Spotlight – March 2018 edition
- Hot Lunch Menu – OUSD April Lunch Menu
- My School Bucks – Add money to School Lunch Account
- After School Programs – after school offerings for OSA middle and high schoolers
- Lunchtime Clubs – lunchtime clubs for MS and HS students
- KOSA Radio – student radio
- The OSA Telegraph – student newspaper
- Nomenclatter – hedonism is the theme of the new issue of Literary Arts’ webzine
- konstella.com/amazon – Amazon Smile, Alliance Of Parents And Teachers At The Oakland School For The Arts
The Parent Trap!
This is where you’ll find information about any and all fun events, activities and classes shared by parents for parents.
INVITATION TO DANCE…
FREE TheaterDance Master Class and Audition Opportunity!
CPR Certified; Current certification as Lifeguard by a recognized source of training.
Job Type: Part-time (Can do swim lessons on the side) ; Free use of club facilities.
Salary: $15.00 /hour
Contact: Kevin Dillon, firstname.lastname@example.org; (510) 849-0743
OSA News: Now accepting advertisements!
Ad space on the OSA NEWSLETTER is available for your business or organization.